Bago is about a 90-minute drive north from Yangon on the old highway to Mandalay – was once capital of southern Myanmar for many centuries. Bago still houses much of its monumental Buddhist glory and the city is famous for its huge reclining Buddha, constructed in 994 AD, which measures 55 m in length. Bago is a frequent stop of tourist buses heading back from the Golden Rock and one can make simple day trip from Yagon as well.
Shwemawdaw Paya: is said to be over 1.000 years old, originally built by the Mon. It is 114 meters high and can be seen even from far away. The pagoda has a long history of destruction due to earthquakes and reconstruction; it finally reached today’s height in 1954, after a levelling of the stupa in a massive earthquake in 1930. The mouth of the two guardian beasts at the west entrance contains two Mahayana bodhisattvas.
Kanbawzathadi Palace & Museum: a former Mon palace, walled in the Mon style, with a square measurement along each side of 1.8 km. The palace housed King Bayinnaung from 1553 to 1599, who established the 2nd Union of Myanmar. It features the newly rebuild audience hall and the king's apartment. The entire compound has been surrounded by a teak stockade, a few stumps of which can be seen in the new museum. The museum displays Mon, Siamese and Bagan style Buddhas.
Shwethalyaung Buddha: a huge reclining Buddha. It is reported to be one of the most lifelike of all reclining Buddhas. Originally it was built in 994 AD of brick and stucco by the Mon king Migadepa II.